(Employed) students

A new school and a new challenge for your child.
Are you still entitled to child benefit?
How many hours can your child work?
We give you all the information you need.

Much changes when your child moves to another type of education, also for child benefit. Until 31 August of the year in which your child turns 18, you are most certainly entitled to child benefit. As a rule, you are also entitled to child benefit until your child reaches the age of 25 if they continue to study. However, there are a few conditions if your child wants to earn some money while they are studying. The conditions that apply to your child depend on their type of education.

  • Secondary education

Secondary education also covers education for social advancement, private education, education with a limited curriculum, part-time education, recognised training and education for management.

To determine whether you are entitled to child benefit, the number of hours studied, the number of hours worked and the income of your child are important. Click here for more information.

  • Apprenticeship contract

In an apprenticeship contract, also referred to as an apprenticeship agreement, your entitlement to child benefit depends on a number of conditions. Even when the apprenticeship contract is refused, broken, withdrawn or not recognised, you may still be entitled to child benefit in some cases. You can find more information here.

  • Higher education

In higher education, too, you generally maintain the right to child benefit. Here, the conditions are generally linked to the number of credits that your child selects and the potential hours they work. The start date of their studies determines when you receive the child benefit.
For PhD students, students who take an extra year for a placement or dissertation and students in higher vocational education, specific conditions apply.
Click here for more information.

  • Studying abroad

When your child studies abroad, you can also maintain your right to child benefit. Depending on where your child studies, different conditions apply. Select the country in which your child is studying here to view the conditions.

  • Working as a student

Your child may work alongside their studies and any compulsory placements. Depending on the age of your child and the type of contract, other conditions apply.