Who can apply for child benefit?
Are you the sole parent with parental authority? If so, apply for child benefit at your child benefit fund.
Are there several persons who are entitled to apply for child benefit or do you share parental authority? Then the highest-ranked person from the list below should apply for child benefit at their child benefit fund:
- The father of the child
- The mother of the child
- Parents of the same sex: the eldest of the two applies for child benefit
- The step-father of the child
- The step-mother of the child
If neither of the parents can apply for child benefit, the eldest of the following persons is responsible for submitting the application at their child benefit fund:
- The partner of the child’s mother or father
- A grandparent of the child (if the child lives with them)
- An uncle or aunt of the child (if the child lives with them)
- A (half-)brother or (half-)sister of the child
You can therefore not just choose who applies for the child benefit. We always seek the best solution for the child. If someone else is entitled to a higher amount, we try to make sure this is the case.